That’s gamification! The application of game design elements and principles in non-game situations and contexts.
Games are an effective benchmark for evaluating talent. Here’s how:
- Think Google Code Jam, where competitors enter by completing various coding tests and move on through multiple rounds of algorithmic puzzles before tasting success.
- Or Marriot, where applicants play in a simulated environment where they don the kitchen manager’s hat.
3. But it’s not just hard skills that can be put to the game test. Soft, transferable skills such as creativity, problem-solving, decision-making, teamwork, leadership, customer relationship, selling, negotiation, adaptability, attention to detail, and MANY more can be accurately assessed in a game setup.
Now that we have seen how gamification can be used in hiring, let’s spend a few minutes recognizing the advantages gamification has, both from the candidate’s and the client’s viewpoints.
- Well, first off, it sends a great message to the candidate. That the company is progressive, innovative, and invested in engaging the talent, even as it does some serious evaluation.
- Secondly, it is a time-saver in the application process. Tests and assignments requiring manual inputs, review cycles et al are a long-drawn process. Games with their instant results are effective and efficient in reducing time while providing reliable results. Who would pass up such an opportunity?
- Bias. A word that is frequently associated with hiring. Bias can be eliminated with data-driven assessment games which drive objective results, saving one time and money in the long run.
- Objective evaluation. By this, we mean that one can evaluate diverse applicants, be they entry-level or experienced, as games give them the chance to highlight their competencies, resourcefulness, and agility. The playing field is leveled. Incidentally, gamification is a natural way to attract active candidates vs. passive candidates.
- Brand building. Games are a terrific method to showcase the company’s brand, including its values and outlook. This not only increases the attractiveness of the organization in the eyes of the applicants but also introduces them upfront to the company’s mission and goals. Applicants can right away assess their cultural fit! In fact, gamification is an opportunity to highlight your brand, employer values, and culture in a way that no other recruitment strategy can.
Gamification in hiring is a game-changer in the recruitment process.
Just as Jobs n Gigs is. A trusted job marketplace, loved by candidates and clients. Know more at jobsngigs.com